Monday, June 27, 2011

Las Vegas councilman deals with high-achieving students with pizza, prices

ImagePaul Takahashi Las Vegas Councilman Ricki Barlow serves pizza to third grader Yovanni Palma, 9, and fourth grader Alejandro Aceves, 9, at McCall Elementary School in North Las Vegas on Friday 24 June 2011. Barlow donated pizza, backpacks and bicycles to students to improve their scores on State standardized tests for reading and mathematics.By Paul Takahashi (contact) Friday 24 June 2011 | 16: 00: 19

800 e. Carey Ave., North Las Vegas

Earlier this year, gave Las Vegas Councilman Ricki Barlow students at a North Las Vegas elementary school a special challenge.

Improve performance on standardized test criterion referenced and Barlow would treat high-performing students to a pizza party and prices as bicycles and backpacks full of school supplies.

This Friday rejoined Barlow to Quannah McCall Elementary School, 800 Carey Ave., congratulate the few dozen summer school students to achieve the highest score in school history.

-I am here today to live up to the end of my favourable because more than 124 students have surpassed CRT exam, "said Barlow. "I am very proud of these kids."

According to unofficial CRT scores, McCall still has room for improvement, with two thirds of the fourth and fifth graders passing the math portion of the CRT and about half of the fourth-and fifth-v?ghyvlar cross section reading. In third class, only 53 percent passed math and 34% passed reading.

This year's points, however, a major improvement from the previous year, according to Principal Maria Chairez. When she joined McCall 2005, Aino only 11 fifth-v?ghyvlar cross section, the treatment of the CRTs.

This year's better scores 42% in reading and mathematics from 56% in the last year, Chairez said, adding that she feels confident McCall will meet its annual yearly progress designation again on the no child left behind.

"We are very proud of our growth," said she. "Quannah McCall is on the move. We hope that a turnaround school in North Las Vegas. "

Students log as they rushed to the scene to take free backpack and cheered as the names of the highest peak was called out and given complimentary bicycles and helmets.

Fourth-stone grader Christian Gonzalez said she was happy about his new bicycle. His old bicycle had rust and a flat tyre and missing streamers, she said.

"I feel really good," said Gonzalez, 9, that she wants to become a veterinarian someday. "When I discovered my points, I was really, really proud. My parents were proud of me, too. "

Five-stone grader Guadalupe Urbina, 10, published second highest score in her class this year. She said that she felt encouraged by his teachers and Barlows challenge.

"I thought I would get a lower score than I got," said she. "I have worked so hard, but I never thought it would do."

Barlow said he planned to continue to donate to schools in the future.

-I am a product of Clark County School District, "he said. "This is my home, where I was born and raised, so I understand the importance of giving back to the community. Someone has to take my site so I will do my part to ensure that the future generation will soon will be a great opportunity to succeed. "

No comments:

Post a Comment